Table of Contents

From the Editor

One of the things I love most about mysteries is that they're really social novels, but with a specific bent: someone has been killed. And the someone who has perpetrated the murder has upended the natural order of things. It's up to a detective - a person who might be a bit of a misfit too - to right it by uncovering not only whodunit, but why - and what that says about the social dynamics of the age.

The best crime writers can give us insights into society, bureaucracy, the give-and-take of office and local and national politics, into the way colleagues, friends, men and women relate to each other. And they do it without preaching - they do it through story, setting and character, like social novels of the past.

This month, we have features on two authors who have set their novels in societies where life is a peril, where truth is even more elusive than it is in an open society, and where detectives aim to preserve a bit of their personal dignity while suffering the indignities of a system that doesn't necessarily reward the uncovering of truths.

In his debut novel, The Holy Thief, William Ryan takes us to Soviet Russia in 1936, the mystery surrounding a missing icon (and a gruesome murder in a church), and most tellingly, how the Soviet police state -and the police within that police state - operated. It's an astonishing work of historical recreation that is, at the same time, a surprising mystery that for the life of me I could not figure out.

I spoke with Ryan about his work and his background in mind-numbing bureaucracy - as a lawyer for a large bank - that probably helped him understand the cold heart of a communist state. But now that he's embarked on his writing career, we're luckier for it - and in the detective Alexei Korolev, he's created an original and appealing character who also happens to be happily recognizable as a hardboiled type familiar to lovers of 1930s movie mysteries.

James Church spent most of his life working for the U.S. intelligence service, specializing in Korea. He brings an insider's knowledge to his popular and original series of Inspector O novels, which are set in that land that only the hardy few know: North Korea. Inspector O, like the best detectives in fiction, knows the limits of the system in which he must toil, and his blunt and bitter humor in the face of party hacks and political nemeses are his weapons against the dehumanization of life under an oppressive rule.

Church (a pseudonym) told me about how the character of O came about, and what the nature of the two Koreas is like (they're more similar than not).

These novels are set in politically charged atmosphere - but they're political novels in the sense that Anthony Trollope's political novels are political: they concern the people behind the policy. Because after all, no one really cares about policy (or politicians). But we all care about getting to know great fictional characters, such as Korolev and O.

Finally, I had a chance to chat with the wonderful Nevada Barr, who has given readers a gift for much of the last two decades with her Anna Pigeon novels, which are set in and around our nation's national parks and monuments. In Barr's books, the geography and landscape of a place is a major character (though Anna Pigeon herself is also a memorable personage), and Barr has a way of making us aware of our remarkable legacy in the United States of trying to protect our natural resources - and of how easily such a legacy can slip away through bureaucratic mismanagement or just plain stupidity. In my interview with Barr, she tells about her inspiration, her reason for setting her newest novel in New Orleans, and why she doesn't bother to take notes when she visits our parks for research.

- Bob Hughes

[back to top]

SO GOOD, IT'S CRIMINAL... ENTER TO WIN!

Here at the Criminal Element we want to reward our loyal readers with giveaways of some of our favorite books - the absolute best in crime fiction

This month, Minotaur is offering 5 lucky readers the chance to win a copy of New York Times bestselling author Nevada Barr's newest Anna Pigeon novel, Burn, which Booklist called
"[a] definite winner."

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

Have more fun with your crime!

Check out the cool characters and awesome games at StephaniePlum.com!

www.stephanieplum.com

Paperback Spotlight

Heartsick_fit

Sweetheart_fit

"Heartsick is worth all the hype... brilliant."
- New York Post

Each novel in Chelsea Cain's acclaimed series featuring Portland detective
Archie Sheridan and serial killer Gretchen Lowell leaves readers wanting more of the dark and destructive relationship that began with her bestselling debut, Heartsick.

"We've been down the
Hannibal Lecter Avenue many times, and these two books shouldn't work...but they do. Chalk it up to excellent writing and Cain's ferocious sense of humor."
- Stephen King,
Entertainment Weekly

Fleet Street Murders_fit

Called "beguiling" by The New York Times Book Review, the Charles Lenox series returns with the gentleman detective investigating the violent murders of two reporters.

Six Suspects_fit

From the author of
The New York Times bestseller Slumdog Millionaire comes this riveting social thriller set in contemporary India.

"[A] Bollywood version of the board game Clue with a strain of screwball comedy thrown in...gleeful, sneaky fun."
 - Janet Maslin,
The New York Times