Table of Contents

John Banville on His Benjamin Black Novels

Ireland long ago: "an impossible time, a dark time"

"Looking back on Ireland is like looking back on the Middle Ages," says John Banville, about his new Benjamin Black novel, "Elegy for April" which is set in Ireland of the mid-1950s.

elegy-for-april_benjamin-black"It was like a Brueghel painting. Ireland then was a strange, controlled and narrow world," Banville says. "We all thought we were free, and that Eastern European countries were under the jackboot of atheist communism.  But we were the prisoners of an ideology every bit as strong as that, the ideology of the church. The church ran things in this country." Banville, who was born in 1945, recalls less the specific incidents of his childhood during the 1950s than its overall atmosphere: "Those buried secrets. It was a very strange time, an impossible time."

"Elegy For April" is the latest in an acclaimed series of novels that Banville has written under the pseudonym Benjamin Black.

One of the lead characters in "Elegy for April" is Phoebe Griffin, daughter of the Dublin-based alcoholic pathologist Garret Quirke, who is the series protagonist. Phoebe takes it on herself to find her missing friend, enlisting her reluctant father's help, and uncovering along the way a variety of troubled families and disturbing revelations about them. In "Elegy for April" the author also probes the tenuous ties between Quirke, who only recently admitted he was Phoebe's father, and his strong-willed daughter.
"I find her absolutely fascinating," Banville says. "She's so damaged, and so dark, and yet she's so forward, so brave. One of the reasons I wanted to write about the 1950s was to write about women and the state of relations between men and women, and fathers and daughters, especially in Ireland."
The novel has other strong women characters beyond Phoebe, including an actress, Isabel, who has a great deal of self-possession.

"I suppose in a way, though I'm not conscious of it, that I may be making up for something in the past. John Banville has always been accused of treating women dreadfully," the author says. In the Benjamin Black novels, "Maybe I'm atoning for this."

john-banvilleBanville writes his Black novels at a faster clip than his more consciously literary works, though anyone who has read the Black novels knows that the author is a master setter of moods and spinner of words. And while Banville says "the last thing I want in crime fiction is beautiful writing," he can't seem to help himself from producing muscular, evocative prose under his pseudonym, as in this passage at the beginning of "Elegy for April:

"For days a February fog had been down and showed no sign of lifting. In the muffled silence the city seemed bewildered, like a man whose sight has suddenly failed."

"I write very fluently as Benjamin Black, which surprises me," Banville said. "I never quite know how it's done." Each book takes a matter of months, all told, to write. But Black is also John Banville, and he writes two different kinds of novels. "We can't make ourselves into two people. One simply writes as the same person, but at a different level," he says. What you get from Banville is deep concentration; from Black you get fluency and spontaneity."

[back to top]

SO GOOD, IT'S CRIMINAL... ENTER TO WIN!

Here at the Criminal Element we want to reward our loyal readers with giveaways of some of our favorite books - the absolute best in crime fiction

This month, Picador is offering the first four internationally bestselling books by Icelandic sensation Arnaldur Indridason, "[a] writer of astonishing gravitas and talent" (John Lescroart).

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE

Paperback Spotlight

eddie_coyle_spotlight

Told almost entirely in crackling dialogue by a vivid cast of lowlifes and detectives, The Friends of Eddie Coyle (40th Anniversary Edition) is "[t]he best crime novel ever written--makes The Maltese Falcon read like Nancy Drew" (Elmore Leonard).

nobody_move_spotlight

The latest from National Book Award-winning author Denis Johnson, Nobody Move "does exactly what noir should do--propel the reader downhill with its cast of losers, louts, and toughs as they cheat, shoot, and exploit one another into fast-talking oblivion" (Jess Walter, The Boston Globe).

last_child_spotlight

Winner of the 2010 Edgar Award for Best Novel, The Last Child is an intricate, powerful story of loss, hope, and courage in the face of evil.