St. Martin’s Press is giving 5 lucky winners the opportunity to be published in A Divided Spy* by New York Times bestselling author Charles Cumming.
Each winner will also receive $250!!*Paperback and Ebook only SUBMIT YOUR STORY By sending an email to enter you are agreeing to the Official Rules below and the Privacy Notice
The theme of trust looms large in A Divided Spy. Throughout the book, new and old confidants surround ex-spy Thomas Kell, providing him with sensitive information, and he (and the reader) don’t know whom he can trust until the very end of the book.
How has trusting a family member, friend, or stranger affected your life?
To enter the contest, write up to 1,000 words on how trust (or distrust) has changed your outlook.
Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, style, and integrity.
OFFICIAL RULES for Who Can You Trust? Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES, D.C. AND CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC) WHO ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AND OF THE LEGAL AGE OF MAJORITY AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. U.S. LAW GOVERNS THIS CONTEST. VOID IN QUEBEC AND WHERE PROHIBITED.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Who Can You Trust? Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to persons who as of the date of entry (and, if a winner, as of the date of prize fulfillment) are a legal resident of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Canada (excluding Quebec) and who are 18 years of age or older and of the legal age of majority in the jurisdiction in which he or she resides. We are sorry for the geographic restrictions, unfortunately it is required for various legal reasons. Persons who as of the date of entry (and, if a winner, as of the date of prize fulfillment) are an employee of St. Martin’s Press, LLC (“Sponsor”) or any of Sponsor’s Affiliates (as defined in Section 7), and members of the immediate family or household (whether or not related) of any such employee, are not eligible. Eligibility determinations will be made by Sponsor in its discretion and will be final and binding. U.S. law governs this Contest. Void in Quebec and where prohibited by law.
- HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for the Contest begins at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time (ET) on November 22, 2016 and continues through 11:59 p.m. ET on January 17, 2017 (the “Entry Period”). No purchase is necessary. To enter the Contest, during the Entry Period, entrants must create an original non-fiction or fiction essay of not more than 1,000 words that responds to the following question: How has trust (or lack thereof) affected your life in some way? (an “Essay”). Then, during the Entry Period, entrants must compose an email containing the entrant’s first and last name with his or her Essay in the body of the email or as an attachment (the mail and Essay together are a “Submission”), and send the Submission to Sponsor’s firstname.lastname@example.org email address. The entrant’s Essay must comply with all of the submission guidelines set forth in Section 3 below. Each Essay may be submitted only once. If a particular Essay is submitted more than once, Sponsor will have the right to disqualify all entrants who submitted the duplicative Essay. There is a limit of one Submission per person and per email address. All Submissions must be completed and received by Sponsor prior to the conclusion of the Entry Period. Entry times will be determined using Sponsor’s computer, which will be the official clock for the Contest. Normal time rates, if any, charged by the entrant’s Internet or mobile service provider will apply. All Submissions are subject to verification at any time. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of entry. Sponsor will have the right, in its discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility in a form acceptable to Sponsor (including, without limitation, government-issued photo identification). Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of Sponsor in a timely manner may result in disqualification.
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Each Essay must comply with the following guidelines: (a) the Essay must be original and have been created solely by the entrant; (b) the entrant must own the copyright in the Essay; (c) the Essay must not previously have been submitted in connection with any sweepstakes or contest, published (other than for non-commercial purposes on any website or blog owned and operated by the entrant or any social media account for which the entrant is the registered user) or won any award; (d) if the Essay is non-fiction, the Essay must be truthful and accurate; (e) the Essay must not contain any email address, mailing address, phone number or social security number of any person; (f) the Essay must not include any brand name or trademark of any entity (other than brand names or trademarks associated with Sponsor or referenced in Sponsor’s social media communications relating to this Contest); (g) the Essay must not contain any material that violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation any copyright, trademark or right of privacy or publicity, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable law or regulation, or the use of which by the Licensees as permitted pursuant to these Official Rules would require a license or permission from or payment to any third party; (h) the Essay must not describe the entrant engaging in or otherwise promote any illegal, sexually explicit, violent or dangerous behavior; (i) the Essay must not contain any material that is disparaging, defamatory, discriminatory, bigoted, threatening, indecent, violent, obscene or offensive; and (j) the Essay must not contain any material that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate for publishing, public viewing, display and/or promoting Sponsor’s or its affiliates content, authors and imprints. By submitting an Essay, the entrant represents and warrants that the entrant has complied with all of the foregoing requirements and has obtained all permissions, licenses and consents that are necessary for the submitting of the Essay and to the use by the Licensees of the Essay as permitted pursuant to these Official Rules and to verify compliance with the foregoing requirements. Each entrant agrees to provide to Sponsor at Sponsor’s request copies of all such permissions, licenses and consents and, if requested by Sponsor, to obtain additional permissions, licenses and consents from the applicable parties in a form specified by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Essay that Sponsor determines does not comply with these guidelines, or to require the entrant to make such changes to any Essay as are necessary to make it compliant.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: Following the conclusion of the Entry Period, five (5) potential Grand Prize winners will be selected by Author and employees of Sponsor designated by Sponsor (the “Judges”) from among all eligible Submissions received during the Entry Period, by applying the following criteria to the entrant’s Essay, weighted equally: (a) creativity; (b) originality, (c) style and (d) integrity. In the event of a tie between any two Essays, the tie will be broken on the basis of the tied Essays’ score in the originality category. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to not select any winner or to select fewer winners than the number of potential winners specified above if, in the sole opinion of Sponsor and/or the Judges, none or an insufficient number, respectively, of the Essays submitted are of adequate quality. The odds of winning will depend on the number and quality of eligible Submissions received. Each potential winner will be notified by e-mail (sent to the e-mail address used by the entrant to send the Submission). If the initial notification requires a response, the potential winner must respond to Sponsor’s initial notification attempt within 72 hours with such personal and/or additional contact information as Sponsor may require, if any (for example, the potential winner’s mailing address). Each potential winner is subject to verification of eligibility and may, in Sponsor’s discretion, be required to complete, sign and return to Sponsor an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability or an Affirmation of Eligibility/Release of Liability, as determined by Sponsor, and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release (collectively, a “Declaration and Release” for residents of Canada), and any other documentation provided by Sponsor in connection with verification of the potential winner’s eligibility and confirmation of the releases and grant of rights set forth herein (as applicable, “Winner Verification Documents”), within seven days of attempted delivery of same. Each potential winner, if a U.S. resident, may also in Sponsor’s discretion be required to complete and return to Sponsor an IRS Form W-9 within seven days of attempted delivery of same. If a potential winner cannot be reached or does not respond within 72 hours of the initial notification attempt or fails to complete, sign, and return any required Winner Verification Documents or, if a U.S. resident, IRS Form W-9 within seven days of attempted delivery of same, or if the potential winner does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules and/or cannot accept any prize was awarded for any reason, then the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may, at Sponsor’s discretion, be selected from among the remaining eligible Submissions as specified in these Official Rules (in which case the foregoing provisions will apply to such newly-selected entrant). Sponsor anticipates that the Grand Prize winners will be publicly announced on or about February 14, 2017.
- PRIZES: Five (5) Grand Prizes will be offered. Each Grand Prize consists of (i) an opportunity for the Grand Prize winner’s winning Essay to be published in the paperback and e-book versions of the literary work, A DIVIDED SPY (the “Book”), written by Charles Cumming (the “Author”) and (ii) $250 awarded in the form of a check or another payment method determined by Sponsor. All details relating to the use of the Grand Prize winner’s winning Essay in the Book will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each Grand Prize is $250.00 USD. The aggregate ARV of all prizes is $1,250.00 USD. All prize details that are not expressly specified in these Official Rules will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. Each prize will be awarded if properly claimed (except as stated in Section 4). No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of the right to receive any prize is permitted, except in the discretion of Sponsor, which has the right to substitute any prize or any component of any prize with a prize or prize component of equal or greater value selected by Sponsor in its discretion. Each prize consists only of the items expressly specified in these Official Rules. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of each prize or any component of the prize are the responsibility of the winner. Each prize is awarded “as is” and without any warranty, except as required by law. In no event will more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules be awarded. Use of gift cards (if applicable) is subject to issuer’s terms and conditions. FOR U.S. RESIDENTS: All federal, state and local taxes on the value of any prize are the responsibility of the winner. An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law.
- GRANT OF RIGHTS; RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF ESSAY:
- Name and Information. By entering the Contest, each entrant irrevocably grants to Sponsor, each of Sponsor’s Affiliates, and the agents and licensees of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Licensees”) the right to use the entrant’s name and any information supplied by the entrant (including any email address and any mailing address provided for delivery of the prize) in accordance with Sponsor’s Privacy Notice at http://us.macmillan.com/splash/policy.html, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, for the purpose of administering the Contest, without further notice or compensation.
- Copyright Ownership. Each entrant will retain ownership of his or her copyright rights in the Essay, subject to the rights granted to the Licensees and the restrictions described in these Official Rules.
- Restriction on Use of Essay. Each entrant shall not publish or authorize any third party to publish the entrant’s Essay at any time from the start of the Entry Period through the date on which the winners are announced, except for non-commercial purposes on any website or blog owned and operated by the entrant or any social media account for which the entrant is the registered user.
- Grant of Exclusive Rights by Winners. Each winner irrevocably grants to the Licensees (i) an exclusive worldwide license to reproduce and publish the Essay in any and all editions of the Book and to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit, create derivative works based on and otherwise use the Essay and any derivative works based on the Essay, in whole or in part, in any medium or format whether now or later known or developed, for the full term of copyright of the Book and the full term of copyright of the Essay (including, but not limited to, all renewals, extensions, reversions and continuations), and (ii) the right to use the winner’s name and likeness either in connection with the Essay or separately from the Essay, in each instance (i.e., with respect to the rights granted in clauses (i) and (ii) immediately above) in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed (including without limitation in the Book, on Sponsor’s websites, and on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other social media channels), in connection with the Contest, the Book or the Essay (including in advertising and promotions relating to the Contest, the Book or the Essay), without further notice or compensation. Each winner shall not publish or authorize any third party to publish the winner’s Essay in any manner, except Sponsor gives the winner permission to publish the Essay for non-commercial purposes on any website or blog owned and operated by the entrant or any social media account for which the entrant is the registered user.
- RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering the Contest, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, each entrant on behalf of himself or herself and anyone who succeeds to entrant’s rights and responsibilities including without limitation entrant’s heirs, executors, administrators, personal representatives, successors, assigns, agents, and attorneys, and with respect to minors entrant’s parents and legal guardians (collectively the “Entrant Parties”) releases Sponsor, each of Sponsor’s Affiliates, the licensees and licensors other than Entrant Parties including authors of each of the foregoing, all other companies involved in the development or operation of the Contest, the successors and assigns of each of the foregoing and the directors, officers, employees and agents of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims and causes of action of any kind that the entrant and/or Entrant Parties ever had, now have or might in the future have arising out of or relating to the Contest, participation in the Contest, the submission of any Submission, the provision, acceptance or use of any prize or any component of any prize, or any exercise by the Licensees of any of the rights granted in Section 6 above, including without limitation any and all claims and causes of action: (a) relating to any personal injury, death or property damage or loss sustained by any entrant or any other person, (b) based upon any allegation of violation of the right of privacy or publicity, misappropriation, defamation, or violation of any other personal or proprietary right, (c) based upon any allegation of infringement of copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, trade secrets, moral rights or any intellectual property right, or (d) or based upon any allegation of a violation of the laws, rules or regulations relating to personal information and data security. Each entrant on behalf of himself or herself and the Entrant Parties agrees not to assert any such claim or cause of action against any of the Released Parties. Each entrant on behalf of himself or herself and the Entrant Parties assumes the risk of, and all liability for, any injury, loss or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest, the submission of any Submission or the provision, acceptance or use of any prize or any component of any prize. The Released Parties are not responsible for, and will not have any liability in connection with, any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of any prize. The Released Parties are not responsible for, and will not have any liability in connection with, late, lost, delayed, illegible, damaged, corrupted or incomplete Submissions, incorrect or inaccurate capture of, damage to, or loss of Submissions or entry information, or any other human, mechanical or technical error of any kind relating to communications or attempted communications with any entrant or Entrant Parties, the submission, collection, storage and/or processing of Submissions or the administration of the Contest. The term “Affiliate” of Sponsor means any entity that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with Sponsor. The term “control” means the possession, directly or indirectly, of the power to direct or cause the direction of management and policies of an entity, or the ownership, directly or indirectly, of more than fifty percent (50%) of the equity interests of the entity.
- GENERAL RULES: Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to modify these Official Rules (including without limitation by adjusting any of the dates and/or timeframes stipulated in these Official Rules) and to cancel, modify or suspend this Contest at any time in its discretion, including without limitation if a virus, bug, technical problem, entrant fraud or misconduct, failure or refusal of any person or entity involved in the development or operation of the Contest (including without limitation any author) to comply with such party’s obligations in connection with the Contest, failure or unavailability of any email account or service or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsor corrupts the administration, integrity, security or proper operation of the Contest or if for any other reason Sponsor is not able to conduct the Contest as planned (including without limitation in the event the Contest is interfered with by any fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or of public enemy, communications failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, federal, state, provincial, territorial or local law, order or regulation or court order). In the event of termination of the Contest prior to selection of the winners, a notice will be posted on ADividedSpy.com and the Judges will select the winners in accordance with Section 4 from among all eligible Submissions received prior to the time of termination. Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify or prohibit from participating in the Contest any individual who, in Sponsor’s discretion, Sponsor determines or believes (i) has tampered with the entry process or has undermined the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair practices, (ii) has engaged in conduct that annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrant or any representative of Sponsor or (iii) has attempted or intends to attempt any of the foregoing. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR HAS THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY PERSON INVOLVED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. The use of agents or automated devices, programs or methods to submit Submissions is prohibited and Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Submission that it believes may have been submitted using such an agent or automated device, program or method. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted a Submission, the Submission will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address used to send the Submission. “Authorized account holder” means the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. An entrant may be required to provide proof (in a form acceptable to Sponsor, including, without limitation, government-issued photo identification) that he or she is the authorized account holder of the email address used to send the Submission in question. All federal, state, provincial, territorial and local laws and regulations apply. All Submissions become the property of Sponsor and will not be verified or returned. By participating in this Contest, entrants on behalf of themselves, and to the extent permitted by law on behalf of the Entrant Parties agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. These Official Rules may not be reprinted or republished in any way without the prior written consent of Sponsor. D
- ISPUTES: By entering the Contest, each entrant on behalf of himself or herself and the Entrant Parties agrees that, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, (a) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or the provision, acceptance and/or use of any prize or component of any prize, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action (Note: Some jurisdictions do not allow restricting access to class actions. This provision will not apply to you if you live in such a jurisdiction); (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant or Entrant Party be permitted to obtain any award for, and each entrant and Entrant Party hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of the entrants, Entrant Parties and Sponsor in connection with the Contest shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York in the United States of America without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York. Any legal proceedings arising out of this Contest or relating to these Official Rules shall be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in New York County in the State of New York, waiving any right to trial by jury, and each entrant and Entrant Party consents to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these rules or the Contest. In the event of any conflict between these Official Rules and any Contest information provided elsewhere (including but not limited in advertising or marketing materials), these Official Rules shall prevail.
- USE OF INFORMATION: Please review the Sponsor's Privacy Notice at http://us.macmillan.com/splash/policy.html . By entering the Contest, entrant hereby agrees to Sponsor's collection and use of their personal information in accordance with such Notice, including the use of entrant’s personal information to send email updates about the Contest and Book and other information from Sponsor and its related companies.
- WINNER NAME AND RULES REQUESTS: For the names of the winners, which will be available two weeks after the conclusion of the Entry Period, or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Who Can You Trust? Contest, c/o St. Martin's Press, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10010. Winner name requests must be received by Sponsor within six months after the conclusion of the Entry Period.
- SPONSOR: St. Martin’s Press, LLC, 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010. ©2016 Macmillan. All rights reserved.